2011-04-06

But Can I Go Fishing Fishing Kits For Backpacking

Water. Wherever I go when I hike or camp, I like to be near water. Lakes, rivers and creeks. If possible, I want to go fishing. But the last thing I want to do is carry a big old tackle box and pole while hiking. Tackle box is too heavy and the pole, wow, I would get that pole caught on every bush and tree between the car and the campsite. So how do you go about bringing fishing gear on your backpacking trip or hike without compromising weight and space in your pack? Keep it simple. Now how simple is up to you. Let's start with poles. There are a few ways to go here. There are telescoping poles that work like an antenna.
 
Each part of the pole slides into the next until it is down to about a foot and a half in length. While this is convenient, I have found that this kind of pole lacks the sensitivity I prefer while fishing. Another option is a different kind of collapsible pole. This kind of pole breaks down into pieces about a foot in length each. All of these components string together with an elastic chord. A lot like a modern tent pole. These break down nicely and still retain the level of sensitivity of a standard pole. If you want to go old-school and very compact you could use a traditional Inuit method of fishing where you wrap some fishing line around a piece of wood and use it like hobo fishing. Try as I might, I cannot find out the traditional name of that kind of fishing rig.
 
So, now that you have some pole options, lets talk about tackle. I'm not going to tell you what tackle to take. I know better than that. It all depends on where you are going, what you're fishing for and so many other variables. But how do you carry your tackle with you? Simplify! Don't try to bring all of your tackle. Pick and choose. Have a good variety, for sure, but don't bring everything. You'll never use it all anyway. There are a variety of small tackle boxes that would fit nicely into a small pocket, or take up very little space in your pack. You could also improvise very easily. An Altoids tin works well, some have even used an old 35mm film cannister. Now you have a pole, and something to carry your tackle in. What tackle do you bring?
 
 Personally, I like to bring 2 or 3 lures. Spinners and spoons, perhaps a jig or two. Some hooks and a bubble are great to have, but don't try to pack bait. You won't be happy about the smell in your pack. Gather bait where you will be fishing. Explore the area you are going to be fishing in and look for what local bugs, grubs, and worms are around. I love fishing. I find it relaxing and very enjoyable and sometimes it is tasty too. Don't let the difficulty of traveling with the gear get in the way of your enjoyment of this great pastime. With some research and practice, fishing can become a regular part of your backpacking routine.


No comments:

Post a Comment